DR1 - The Weather Office (Onamet) reports that rain accompanied by wind gusts and thunder and lightning will continue over much of the national territory. As reported, a stationary front located over the country is interacting with a low-pressure trough over Haiti that is moving slowly westward. Onamet says the rains will continue gradually improving by Saturday, in time for the long weekend. Meanwhile, Onamet has issued a small craft warning for the entire coastline.
The rains that have fallen in the region over the last day have partially cut off several communities, affected 2,943 houses and caused 11,150 people to be displaced to safer places. Meanwhile, the Emergency Operations Center (COE) declared a yellow alert for seven provinces and put another 16 provinces on green alert due to the continuation of the rains accompanied by thunder and lightning over a large part of the country.
The areas most affected include the province of Puerto Plata, the areas of Licey al Medio, Tamboril, San Pedro de Macoris and Montecristi, where 2,770 houses were flooded according to the COE report. Some of those affected were transported by agencies to houses of relatives and friends until the waters recede to their normal levels.
The provinces on yellow alert are: Montecristi, Puerto Plata, Santiago, Maria Trinidad Sanchez (Nagua), La Vega, Monsenor Noel (Bonao) and San Jose de Ocoa. On green alert are the provinces of Valverde (Mao), Samana, Santiago Rodriguez, Espaillat (Moca), Dajabon, Hermanas Mirabal (Salcedo), Duarte (San Francisco de Macoris, especially the Lower Yuna area), Monte Plata, Hato Mayor, San Pedro de Macoris, El Seibo, Azua, Peravia (Bani), San Cristobal, Santo Domingo and Barahona. Read original at DR1.
(Posted 12:31 Saturday by DRSol NewsHound. Viewed 633 times.)
Santo Domingo. – The fiscal deficit during 2013
was RD$70. 0 billion, equal to 2. 77% of GDP, meaning that it was 11. 3%
greater than the current line of RD$62. 9 billion, the Government Accounts Agency (Digecog) revealed.
According to the report “State of Collections and Investment of the Income,“
which covers 2013, the financial results for last year reveal a deficit of
RD$70. 0 billion, which represents 111. 3% with respect to the estimate in force
for 2013, and which at the same time represents 2. 77% of GDP.
Finance minister Simon Lizardo told the press in February that in 2013 the
fiscal deficit was some RD$70. 0 billion, equal to 2. 77% of GDP. He then said the
deficit was below the goal that was forecast. But the RD$70. 0 billion amount to
which the minister referred corresponds to the original budget, before it was
In its report the Accounting Agency stresses that his result was modified by
RD$7. 2 billion to remain at RD$62. 9 billion. On 27 November 2013, the Congress
approved Law 158-13 which modified that year’s budget.
Sophia. – A year-long investigation into a Bulgarian credit card
fraud gang resulted last week in the arrests of three people in Italy
and four in Bulgaria, Europol announced.
According to esecurityplanet. com, 25 people involved in the scam have been arrested, and an
additional 21 have been charged. Fraudulent withdrawals were committed in Indonesia, the USA, Bali, the Dominican Republic and Kenya.
Police have seized a total
of 250 skimming devices, 2,000 blank credit cards and more than 50,000
Euros in cash.
Italy’s Comando Carabinieri Antifalsificazione Monetaria coordinated the operation, with the support of the cybercrime department of the Bulgarian State Agency for National Security. Europol agents assisted by analyzing phone bills and hard drives linked to the gang.
Esecurityplanet. com reported that the criminals were highly organized and obtained cash from ATMs using data which they had
obtained via skimming devices.
Santo Domingo. – PLD candidate and Tourism minister Francisco Javier Garcia said Sunday that his colleagues Leonel Fernandez and Danilo Medina will play a referee role in the party internal process of choosing the PLD candidate for the 2016 presidential elections.
According to El Nuevo Diario, Garcia said that due to their leadership within the ranks of the party as well as in the country, both Fernandez and Medina will have to play a referee role to ensure party unity.
Santo Domingo. – In his second report Saturday before noon, Emergency Operations Center (COE)
director Juan Manuel Mendez said 20 people have died during the Easter break so far, all of them were in traffic accidents.
COE also reports 582 people affected, 354 in traffic accidents, 30 for alcohol overdose, 10 for food poisoning and 188 for various reasons.
According to Mendez, most traffic accidents occurred in Santo Domingo, La Vega, Puerto Plata and San Cristobal.
Santo Domingo. – Renowned Dominican singer Sonia Silvestre died Saturday at the age of 61, a few days after being admitted to hospital Plaza de la Salud in critical conditions due to a massive stroke and two heart attacks.
The information was given by her husband Jose Betancourt, father of her children Andres and Heloise Estela Betancourt Silvestre.
“We have to announce the sad demise of our Sonia Silvestre,“ Betancourt said through a statement issued today.
According to press reports, tomorrow Sunday, 20 April there will be a private ceremony for the family and her remais will be exposed Monday at the Blandino funeral home on Lincoln Avenue.