DR1 - Public Health Minister Bautista Rojas Gomez confirmed yesterday, Thursday, 19 April, that there is an outbreak of cholera in Tamboril, Santiago, where the water supply has been contaminated due to the rupture of a sewage pipe.
He said that more than 200 people have presented symptoms of diarrhea in the area in the last few days. Yesterday another 20 were admitted to the hospital in Tamboril and nine to hospitals in Santiago.
He went on to say that the whole water system in Tamboril was being disinfected and that Public Health would continue working until there were no more cases.
He stated that Maria Dolores Ovalles, 64, confirmed to have had cholera, also suffered from diabetes which affected her kidneys contributing to her death.
Yesterday the disease claimed its third victim, Marino Flores, 70, who had been suffering from diarrhea, vomiting and fever, but did not go to hospital. One of his sons is also suffering from the same symptoms and is in Centro Medico Cibao in Santiago.
Responding to questions from journalists about a possible outbreak of diarrhea in Barahona and Pedernales, the Minister said that there was diarrhea but he had no information that indicated it was an outbreak.
Rojas Gomez was speaking at the launch of National Vaccination Day during which people of all ages were immunized against polio, flu, measles and German measles. Read original at DR1.
(Posted 16:00 Sunday by DRSol NewsHound. Viewed 508 times.)