DR1 - At a press conference held yesterday, Thursday 31 May, Central Electoral Board (JCE) president Roberto Rosario revealed that groups of paramilitaries were present at almost all voting stations on Election Day, impersonating the legitimate authorities with the aim of affecting the election results. He said that the main places where the Electoral Military Police disbanded such groups included Monte Plata and Boca Chica, adding that he has documentation with the names of the people involved and details of how they were operating.
He also said they found a large arms cache in Cotui and said that "God protected us and nothing happened, but in other countries this would almost have started civil war. "
Rosario said that he would disclose the evidence on the groups` activities from the polling stations nationwide when the time was right.
Rosario added that this type of action was unprecedented in an election in the country and that it was a serious attempt to impersonate the legitimate Electoral Military Police. He said that that was why the elections had been so violent, a completely avoidable situation.
He informed that the JCE website was attacked from 2. 49pm on 20 May until 8 am on 21 May, from Spain, Mexico, the United States, Puerto Rico and within the Dominican Republic and identified the organization behind the hacking as Anonymous Mexico. He said that the attempt did not succeed thanks to the measures taken by the international companies contracted to prevent it.
On another matter Rosario accused various organizations, including civic group Citizen Participation, of developing an imaginary market to buy cedulas (personal identity and voting cards) to justify their claims that the elections had been fraudulent. He went on to say that he was now totally certain that Citizen Participation was becoming an enemy of the JCE given all that had occurred during the observation of the recent electoral process. Read original at DR1.
(Posted 08:29 Saturday by DRSol NewsHound. Viewed 589 times.)